Thursday, December 1, 2011

4 months of catch up...

Just shy of 4 months ago, I packed up as many of my belongings as I could fit into my suv and moved to Denver, Colorado. Upon arrival, I knew all of 2 people - my roommate and a friend in Boulder who I shared an apartment with for one summer, 3 years ago.
My roommate - an old acquaintance who shared some of the same friends as mine, 6 years ago. A lot changes about a person in 6 years; that goes for myself and my roommate. Lets call him Bob.
Boulder friend - you know, quite a bit changes in 3 years too. We'll call her Ann.

During my first week here, I quickly realized that my my roommate, Bob, is a clinger. He wanted to do everything with me... let me reiterate, EVERYTHING with me. Meanwhile, I'm exhausted from leaving everything I know to move 1,000 miles with a carsick cat, Jonah, to a new city, having 2 friends in town to visit me, and starting a new job (old job, new location). Lets not forget that I'm a bit of a loner; I like my ME time; there is a reason I am single and have been (errr, not in a committed relationship) for 4-ish years. --I expect this blog to show many other reasons why no man in his right mind would want to date me --  Simply stating "I'll be back later" only results in 20 questions until I finally say "I'm just going to go... by myself... and only myself..."
After a few weeks, he seemed to start to understand that sharing a house for cheaper rent does not mean sharing our entire lives.

Shortly after starting my new job, I managed to pick up some rumors. Its quite amusing what my life looks like based on the stories I hear about myself from other people. Based on rumors, I started sleeping with one of my coworkers within my first month here (we'll call that coworker Calvin). The girl who started these rumors (Pam) happens to live about 2 blocks from me, and as I was informed, she's a creeper. She becomes obsessed with people to the point of stalking them. She really seemed nice and fun at first... until we hung out once. It was like dealing with a jealous boyfriend, who was actually an obnoxious, pudgy, coworker. As soon as Pam found out that Calvin and I had gone out for drinks once or twice, she seemed to assume that anytime we were not at work, we were together. If she saw me holding my phone, she asked if I was texting Calvin. If I was leaving work, she'd ask if Calvin and I were doing something that night. When I would arrive at work, she would ask if he and I hung out and what we did.
At the peak of the rumors, Pam told me that she felt it was necessary that I know that another coworker says that Calvin likes me and that if he knows this, other coworkers probably have noticed too, in which case, she thinks Calvin and I should not be spending time together. In response to this, Calvin and I quickly made plans to hang out. It was probably the following week that a coworker informed me of the rumor that Calvin and I are sleeping together, which stemmed from Pam, who apparently is quite convinced of this.
It recently occurred to me that Pam may have come up with this idea about Calvin and I after I mentioned a night that he and I had a bit much to drink and after drawing pictures on the walls of the bar we were at (walls, bathroom mirrors, toilet seats- totally acceptable, I promise) we passed out in my suv for about an hour before driving home. I suppose that could be twisted into having sex?
To make the rumors even better, when I told Calvin that it was rumored that we were sleeping together, his immediate response is that he doesn't even care that people think that and if Pam asks him, he is going to affirm it. He then went on to mention how amazing his rumored sex life is... with me.
As you are probably wondering, Calvin and I are not sleeping together. We have hung out, gone out for drinks numerous times, gone walking around the lake and such, but none of the rumors about us are actually true. And as far as if he even likes me, as my coworkers think... well, he never denied it.
Really though, Calvin and I are great friends. I definitely can have fun with him in ways that I don't get with many people and I'm really glad I met him. Actually, I can't think of anyone who I have fun with in the same way that I have fun with Calvin.

It seems that since moving here, my tolerance for alcohol has decreased. That, or when I've been drinking, its been going down more quickly. I went downtown with my coworker, Melissa, once. We Started off at a show her boyfriend's band was playing, then after one beer decided to go downtown. We ended up at Denver Tavern, which does not have a 'tavern' feel at all. We ended up on the top floor, where there was a bar, a dance floor, sit down tables, as well as a lot of stand around tables. We were standing by a table for a short time before two rugby players came over to join us. I think their names were Kade (the more attractive one) and... I don't remember the other's name. I ended up having 6+ gin/tonics, oh, and one rum/coke (I actually paid for the rum/coke) Seems I have a way of loosing people when I'm drinking downtown. Melissa left me with the rugby boys so she could go to the bathroom, and somehow she couldn't find me for a while... we only moved about 10 feet. All I remember is that it was a lot of fun, and at the end of the night, Kade was asking how far my place was from down town as Melissa was reminding me that it was about time to be leaving. I left with Melissa.
Other nights of my low tolerance (or large consumption) have included the night of my work party, which was a night when Calvin and I decided to not only have a drink before the work party, but then to go on to another bar after the work party. At this bar, there might have been 5 other people in the whole place aside from us and the workers, oh and the guy singing and playing his guitar. Calvin and I went up to the floor with 3 pool tables, none of which had all the pool balls. We ended up playing 1.5 games of pool with an assortment of balls. I won the first game, and something distracted us partially through the second game, so we stopped playing, ended up carving our initials into the wall (only because EVERYONE else had done the same) and then we found a sharpie and started drawing pictures on the walls. Somehow we ended up in the men's bathroom and drew pictures there, and then in the women's bathroom too... as well as on the toilet seats. Why no pictures were taken, I have no idea... oh, probably because we were drunk and having fun. I'm certain we scared the crap out of one of the bartenders when we both came out of the bathroom together, as he didn't think anyone was still in the bar.
And then there was Halloween. For Halloween, I ended up at a costume party with a bunch of friends from church (they know how to drink and like to drink). I wound up playing a few rounds of beer-pong which turned into jager-pong, and the night gets a little fuzzy after that. I just know photos ended up online before I even got home from that night, and ever since, I've had people telling me how cute I am when I'm drunk...

and now into November - not much happened in November that really seems worth noting.
There was one night that two friends (Kate and Evan) and I were leaving a friend's apartment and we ended up playing twister in the elevator. It was too perfect. The twister mat fit perfectly in the elevator! We were joined by a couple of drunk guys who lost very quickly... and then we were joined by a cop who told us to leave.
Oh, and there was thanksgiving. I ended up spending thanksgiving with a couple friends from home who moved out here shortly after I did. For thanksgiving dinner, we had Mediterranean food, then went back to their place and had a few drinks and smoked a bit... GREAT thanksgiving.

I'm quite certain there is A LOT left out, but also all would have been much better told had I started this 4 months ago... from here out, posts will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment