Tuesday, January 24, 2012

lets just call it "social networking"

I haven't posted in about 3 weeks. In that time, so much and so little has happened. It has been a stressful month for me. Lets be honest, who is really interested in hearing the nitty gritty stresses of real life? Reading about my random impulsive whims are much more entertaining.
Quite a few friends have gotten into the whole online dating thing. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of the idea. I thought it sounded a bit desperate and pathetic until a few good friends told me they honestly look at it as a way to meet new friends, since meeting people post-college actually is somewhat difficult. Its not as a knock at anyone's social ability or anything. Everyone is busy at work, and everyone is on their computers or digitally connected in some way nearly 24/7. After some consideration and much MUCH convincing, I gave in. Yes, go ahead and laugh. I'm honestly still embarrassed to admit it.
 It has been interesting and somewhat entertaining. Within the first week that I joined one of these sites, I was contacted by a guy that I actually know... My immediate response was to want to delete the account and deny it ever happened. I didn't even know he was in Colorado. Talk about weird. Instead of deleting everything, I made small talk with him and we both claimed to be joining the site for the same reasons, "social networking". I honestly do hope to meet some more people into climbing and hiking. Right now it doesn't seem like I have all that many friends that are really into the outdoorsy stuff like I am.
Currently, there are a couple of guys I am talking to. Whether I'll meet them or not, I have yet to decide. If nothing else, it is providing for some entertaining conversation.

I have given up on birthdays. I do love to celebrate everyone's birthdays and will continue to make a big deal about birthdays for everyone. I think the only reason I like to do this is because I know how much it sucks when nobody cares about your birthday. I thought about making plans for my birthday, but every time I have any expectations for my birthday, it turns out to be a great disappointment. The week of my birthday, friends were asking what I wanted to do, and I just told them I wasn't sure. Of course, everyone insisted that we have to do something for my birthday. So, I told them we would probably just go out for drinks the following weekend and that I would let them know. Come Friday, I was with some friends, and of course, they asked what we were going to do for my birthday. I said nothing and explained how my birthday always turns into a disappointment. One friend insisted and insisted that we must go out for drinks or do something. Eventually she demanded that I let her take me out for drinks the following evening and that we party downtown. Finally I gave in and said we could... Sure enough, a couple hours before we were supposed to go out, she canceled on me. It really turned out to be a pretty awful night. In addition to being canceled on, my laptop that I had only had 2 weeks was being screwy, so I had to take it into the Geek squad, where the guy helping me insulted me for working in a coffee shop even though I have a degree.
To top it off, that night, Calvin and I had a pretty stressful conversation, which I don't want to go into the details of. After talking, he ended up drunk texting me trying to exclaim his love for me, then he just kept sending me song lyrics. I was to the point where I didn't care if I ever saw or spoke to him again. The next day though, he apologized a million times for everything, while still explaining that he does love me...
So anywhow, now I'm pretty well set in the mindset that I will never try to do anything for my birthday again.

As far as Max, the guy I tied a balloon to on new years, we have conversations now and then, but that seems to be fizzling off. His sister just had a baby, so he will be back in Denver sometime soon. I suppose we'll see what happens then, if we're still talking, if he asks to hang out.

I'll admit, I am a little ridiculous when it comes to crushes... as if I have to point that out. However, I honestly believe you can learn or gain something from every person you let into your life or spend time with, so I am always up for getting to know new people! I just happen to frequently develop crushes that are often pretty short lived. It keeps things interesting. And on that note...
There is this guy at a coffee shop that I frequent. I know, so cliche, a guy at a coffee shop. Regardless, I developed a slight crush pretty quickly. I'm usually overly bold and borderline cocky in about any situation. For some reason, every time I come into the coffee shop and he is working, I instantly turn into this absurdly quiet, shy girl. ITS SO IRRITATING!!! The first time I noticed him, as he was ringing me up, he not only made a blatantly obvious name check on my debit card, but then went ahead and addressed me by my full name. I smiled, slightly laughed, said thank you, and went on my way. As soon as I got outside I was just mad at myself for not saying anything more! This happened a few more times, and we make more and more friendly small talk now and then.
Today, I went into the coffee shop and he was working. Usually the place is rather busy, but today when I got my drink, there was nobody else at the counter. He told me I have a super hero name, and we made a few light jokes about my second life as a super hero. As usual, I didn't take advantage of the situation and just carried on into the coffee shop and found a table.
By this point, I decided he has made it rather obvious in many ways that he is at least curious about me. So, I worked up some nerve and decided to go back to get something to eat for an excuse to talk to him again. Feeling quite pathetic, I finally asked for his name as I pointed out that he has checked my name on my card 5 times or so now. He gave me his full name, which sounds quite made up. We made more small talk, said it was nice to officially meet one another, and I went on my way back to my nook with my laptop. I'm sure I sound like a pathetic schoolgirl with a crush right now... well, I pretty much am. Oh well, I feel like there was at least some advancement there, and I finally spoke up a bit more. Plus, it was cute as I was leaving and he stammered while trying to say "have a nice afternoon".
Now the obvious question on hand - do I add him on facebook or not?
I'm thinking not. With any hope, he'll send me a friend request first.

No comments:

Post a Comment